Ganga empire built the Barabati Fort in the 14th century near to the Cuttack Orrisa. This is a nine-storied palace with the ruins of its mountain earth, gate, and moat that reminds the past memories of it. Now at the present time, it is located next to the Barabati Stadium at which various cultural and sports events were organized. Not so far from this fort, there is a Katak Chandi temple. To develop the tourism in the Gadakhai, there are not plans for the development of world class park and boating facilities and this improvement for renovation is now become in a full on swing.
This fort was located on the western side of the city near the bank of Mahanadi River. As far from the heart of Cuttack, this was situated about a distance of 8 km. In the ancient times, this fort of Barabati was a nine-storey palace. Now to maintain this royal piece, the charge was taken by the local authorities. This fort covered an area of about 102 acres.
About the 20 yards ditch, fort moat was commonly named as Gadakhai. Its construction was started in the 11th century but again it was renovated in the 14th century. The work by archaeological staff informed that the walls of the fort were constructed with sandstone and laterite. There are various amazing carvings on the gate of this fort, which is very attractive.The fort tells the story of the Ganga dynasty through the carved gate of the fort, moat of the fort, and earthen mound of this Barabati fort. Since the construction start of the fort, there were lots of changes that this fort has undergone.
This internal part of the fort has a capacity of about 30000 people gathering so its internal was transformed into a stadium. Now at the present time, there held a culture and sports events.
History: The king Nrupa Keshari has found the Cuttack in the 989 AD. To make the city protected from the floods, there was a formation of revetment of stone around 1006 AD on the bank of Kathajodi by the King Marakata Keshari. The capital Choudwar Kataka was shifted by the King Anangabhima Dev III towards the Cuttack, which is also named as ‘Abhinaba Varanasi Kataka’. He also established the fort of Barabati in the 1229 AD. There were several empires that ruled the Cuttack like Bhois, Gangas, Kesharis, and Gajapatis. According to the myth, the city was founded by the Somavansi king Nrupakesari. According to the Madalapanji, in 989 AD, this fort was built. But according to the beliefs of the late Prof. P.Mukharjee, city of Cuttack was founded by the Ganga king Anangabhimadeva III with ruling for about 1211 to 1238 AD.
In the 1560 AD century, about nine-storey building was established by the Chalukya King Mukundadev Harichandan. As because of fighting with the Suleiman Karni, a Sultan of Bengal in 1568 AD, this Hindu king died. This fort was protected by two rings on the banks of both Mahanadi and Kathajodi in the 15th and 16th century AD. This city was transformed to the various rulers like it was handover to the Afghan rulers in 1562, then to the Marathas in year 1751, and then to Orissa and in the year 1803, this city came under the ruling of British. In year 1919, Cuttack was connected via the railway lines with the Calcutta and Madras. At the initial time in 1936, it converted into the capital of State of Orissa up to year 1948 and then the capital was turned to the Bhubaneswar. It is about 1000 years passed of the existence of this city since 1989.
At the western region of the city on the bank of the river Mahanadi, there were present the ruins of the old fort of Barabati. Now only the remains of the fort were present with the nine-storey palace. According to the survey of archaeologist, the structure of the fort was formed of sandstone and laterite and it covers an area of about 102 acres as a whole. There is also a presence of tank on the west region of the mound. There were remains of the old temple on the northeast region of the fort. This temple was constructed with the laterite blocks and the white sandstone. In the ruins of this fort, there were stone idol of Jagannath Lord in the temple at the period of Ganga dynasty. There is still existence of a mosque that was manufactured by the Nawab Murshid Quli Khan who was a governor of Emperor Aurangzeb in the 1719 CE.
How to Reach: This Barabati fort is the main tourist attraction in the Cuttack. This fort was present on the west side of the city at the bank of Mahanadi River and it is about 8 km far from the Cuttack.
By Air: Bhubaneshwar is the near one airport to reach the Barabati Fort.
By Rail: The rail line to reach the Barabati fort is from the Cuttack.
By Road: Through the road passage via major cities like Konark, Kolkata, Puri, and Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack can be reached.